Saturday, February 4, 2012

Dig For Victory




Today we also had the ominous task of clearing the 48 stone steps of snow and ice. Angelika collected a spade for me, and I started to use it like a guillotine into the ice. Initially, I quite enjoyed it, as it reminded me of clearing the path for Mum when I was a child. Dad always preferred to use salt, but I always liked the physical removal of solid water - it always felt so rewarding.

But after about the first 15 or 20 steps, my arms were beginning to hurt, and I started to think I'd need to have all ten of my toes amputated as I could no longer feel them. Twinkle came and joined in the fun about half way down, although it wasn't easy with Rhett performing death defying snow stunts on the stairs we'd cleared. Two hours later, the job was finished, although several hours after that, once snow had once again started to fall, I wondered why on earth we'd bothered.

No comments:

Post a Comment